Last issue we told you about how you might be eligible for $5,657 more dollars for your family if you file to receive the government’s earned income tax credit (EITC). Here’s more information about the program and how to get help applying for the money, if you are eligible.
• Must have earned income
• Must have a valid Social Security Number
• Cannot have much investment income
• Generally, must be a U.S. citizen or resident
alien the entire year
• Cannot use “married filing separately”
• Cannot be a qualifying child of another person
• Cannot file Form 2555 or 2555-EZ (related to
foreign earned income)
If you qualify, the best way to file for the credit is with help from a qualified tax preparation consultant. Free tax preparation is available. See http://www.vita-volunteers.org/index.htm for more information.
Some states also have state EITC programs that may return to you even more dollars in tax credits. See the map above to find out if you live in a state offering a state EITC. EL
by El Lechero Editor Walt Cooley